If you're looking to leverage your abilities to make a real difference - and real change in the health care industry - you belong at Banner Health. With facilities in six western states, we're committed to not only providing the finest care possible, but to advancing the way care is provided. To achieve our vision, we seek driven professionals who embrace change and who possess the passion and skills to make it happen.
In the role of Internal Assurance Executive Director you will have the opportunity to be a part of health care transformation as you build and lead a high functioning team, supporting the growth of the enterprise. In this highly visible role you will interact with Banner Health Senior Leadership and the Board of Directors, requiring presentations skills and Executive Presence. You will be a subject matter expert with a proven track record in internal audit and risk assessment with the ability to execute and influence at the highest level, as we are transforming as an organization in innovation.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Within Banner Health Corporate, you will have the opportunity to apply your unique experience and expertise in support of a nationally-recognized healthcare leader. We offer stimulating and rewarding careers in a wide array of disciplines. Whether your background is in Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Managed Care Programs or Public Relations, you'll find many options for contributing to our award-winning patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position will work collaboratively with the senior leadership to ensure consistent risk assessment, audit approaches, and reporting to the Audit Committee and provide high level support to the Internal Assurance function including the oversight of Banner's internal control environment, working with business leaders and corporate management on risk assessment and audit issues, reporting on the development and execution of the internal audit plan including the tracking and reporting of findings and mitigation plans. This position is responsible for providing internal assurance leadership in the development, implementation, and oversight of standards, systems, policies, and procedures in alignment with organizational strategic initiatives for designated system-wide or regional facility, programmatic, or operational/functional areas. Monitors and oversees compliance of customer service, stakeholder relations, workforce, and financial goals and objectives for internal assurance as directed by the VP of Business Health.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Provides leadership in development, implementation, and oversight of system-wide/regional standards, programs, and/or systems in order to achieve desired and integrated strategic business initiatives, objectives, and outcomes including, but not limited to, growth, accountability and patient care. Provides leadership and expertise in the development, implementation, oversight, and evaluation of a comprehensive risk-based audit plan for evaluating the effectiveness of controls in place to manage significant risk exposures, ensure the integrity and reliability of information and financial reporting, safeguard company's assets, and compliance with laws and regulations. Incorporates best practices and responds to emerging trends to enhance operations, programs, and/or services. Implements and evaluates strategic programs, develops effective tools to measure performance, analyzes related data, prepares reports, and makes recommendations to senior leadership based on findings.
2. Directs, supervises, and evaluates the work of the internal assurance staff. Holds staff accountable for achieving plans and performance targets. Works with them to identify and resolve the most complex issues and problems impacting initiatives and operations. Develops staff to ensure continued professional growth and to provide the competencies the company needs to support its growth and long-term success. Fosters an environment that focuses on processes and outcomes.
3. Builds and supports effective collegial relationships with applicable internal and external stakeholders and organizations, ensuring and fostering a high level of collaboration in order to develop partnerships, coordinate activities, review work, exchange information, and/or resolve problems. Promotes and models positive relationships among various entities. Manages the relationship with external auditors and consultants to ensure an effective audit process. Works collaboratively with organization's independent financial auditors and management to ensure a system of effective controls that can be relied upon for audit assurance purposes.
4. Assists in the development, implementation, and consistent application of effective organizational policies and practices. Participates in maintaining an effective internal control environment to ensure that assets are safeguarded, policies and operating procedures are followed, necessary controls are effective and efficient, proper compliance with existing laws and regulations achieved, and operations comply with the legal and regulatory parameters in which it operates.
5. Develops, reviews, and monitors financial and performance outcomes to assure attainment of organizational objectives established by corporate leadership and the Board of Directors. Maintains an effective budgeting and capital planning discipline in support of the VP of Business Health to assist in ensuring planned revenues, expenses, and/or profit goals are met.
6. Directs the development and integration of new and innovative operations and/or services by providing leadership that maximizes internal assurance staff's contributions and assures timely decision-making reflective of the mission, vision, and values of the system.
7. Reviews, prepares, analyzes, and presents reports and recommendations as directed by the VP of Business Health regarding operations and/or other applicable areas of interest in order to provide concise and accurate information that aids in decision-making.
8. May serve as a staff resource to the organization's Governing Board and/or applicable committees. Assists the VP of Business Health with the development, implementation, and reporting to the Board on strategic initiatives, outcomes, and measurements.
9. This position has administrative leadership responsibility for the daily operation of expansive services within a broad division. This position requires the skill to negotiate. Customers of this position are both internal and external, including leadership, staff, medical staff, regulatory agencies, and the community.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Master's Degree in Business, Health Services Administration or a relevant field, or equivalent level of education and experience.
Depending upon assigned area of responsibility, position may require applicable certifications and/or licensures, including but not limited to: RN; MD or DO; CPA; SPHR; JD from an American Bar Association accredited school; admission to a State Bar Association.
Strong knowledge of operations in applicable area(s) of position responsibility, as normally obtained through seven years of progressively responsible managerial experience in applicable area(s) of position responsibility, including a minimum of three years management level experience within a health care system setting or large multi-operational, complex corporate environment. Experience working in a large, highly-matrixed, integrated delivery system in a senior management level position. Proven track record of driving strategic and performance outcomes, as well as accomplishing organizational goals. Experience anticipating and responding to the needs of internal and external customers. Proven experience in managing fiscally sound, profitable, efficient, and responsible operations. Strong financial and business acumen. Knowledge of budgeting and forecasting methodologies. Skilled in effectively engaging management level staff, employees, and stakeholders in order to build partnerships, achieve strategic initiatives, and attain organizational goals; managing problems and situations where uncertainty is inherent; constructing new and innovative solutions for complex and varying problems and situations while approaching issues/problems by considering the larger perspective or context; mentoring and coaching management level staff by providing open and honest feedback that results in enhanced performance outcomes; developing and implementing strategic goals and initiatives that demonstrate a strong commitment to organizational success; effectively allocating resources in order to accomplish organizational goals; quickly assessing and assimilating organizational and industry financial dynamics in order to make appropriate decisions and act quickly on new initiatives; negotiating win-win scenarios with outside vendors/partners while representing the organization in the best possible light; developing collaborative relationships with internal and/or external strategic partners and/or other applicable parties. Leadership style and characteristics necessary to effectively perform in this role include: systems-thinker; innovative; collaborator; ability to work with teams; good listening; nonvolatile; values multiple disciplines; community visibility and leadership; and passionate about continuous improvement and providing high quality service to our customers.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R243
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.